We all know engineering is the most popular course choice amongst the students in the present scenario.
It is a multi-disciplinary stream with various branches, each of the branch of engineering has its own scope and future prospects, according to current innovations and advancements various new branches have been added in the engineering curriculum but meanwhile one must not forget that the scope of core engineering branches such as mechanical, civil and electrical is even good and at par in comparison to other branches.
Let us compare the core engineering branches and its job prospects:
1. MECHANICAL ENGINEERING: The job opportunity in this field is abundant. It offers a wide range of job opportunities to the students. Various industries that require mechanical engineers are automobile, space research, manufacturing industries etc. There is even huge demand of mechanical engineers in the government sectors such as oil and gas refineries, agro industries etc.
Some of the job profiles in the field of mechanical engineering are-
• Research and development- This is a very exhilarating profile which basically includes developing new products and design by doing market research.
• Production- This job role is to mainly supervise the manufacturing process of components and machines.
• Analysis and testing- This profile basically involves the testing and analysis of the different types of machines and its components so that it works without any flaw.
• Maintenance- The major job responsibility of this position is to maintain the machines as mentioned in the specifications, many companies have their own set of people for this work.
2. ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING: This is the fastest growing sector and one of the most interesting branch. It includes the application and understanding of electricity and electronics. The demand for electricity in a giant country like India is never ending which has created a huge scope for the electrical engineers.
Here are the list of various government and PSU sector offering jobs to electrical engineers are-
• Reliance Power Ltd
• ONGS (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation)
• PGCIL (Power Grid Corporation of India Limited)
• CIL (Coal India Limited)
• BHEL (Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited)
• SAIL (Steel Authority of India Limited)
• Siemens Ltd
• Wipro Lighting Ltd
Some of the other, most suitable job firms for the electrical engineers include- the power plants, atomic, thermal etc.
They are required in every public or private sector like in railways, consultancy firms etc.
3. CIVIL ENGINEERING- It is one of the most traditional and oldest core branch in engineering. It is simply the design, development and maintenance of the built infrastructure.
Talking about its scope, the job opportunities are available for the civil engineering graduates in both the sectors- private as well as in government.
In the private sectors major recruiters for the civil engineers are from the construction firms, transportation and real estate like- Tata consulting engineers Ltd., Jacobs engineering, land transport authority etc.
On the other hand list of government companies hiring civil engineers include- PWD, IOC, BHEL, ONGC, NHAI, armed forces etc.
List of job profiles available for the civil engineers in various sectors are-
• Planning and design officer
• Project manager
• Purchase and quality control executive
• Site engineer
• Civil engineer